Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Shrimp are marinated in pesto sauce and grilled. Consists of basil, walnuts and garlic. (Amount of basil seems like a lot at first but don't let the amount scare you, AND fresh is key) Leave the tails on to act as handles and make sure you have plenty of napkins!
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves, rinsed and dried
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Prepare the pesto sauce: Place the basil leaves in the bowl of a food processor and pulse the machine on and off until the leaves are coarsely chopped. Add the walnuts, garlic, salt and pepper, pulse the machine on and off until the mixture is well chopped but not pureed. Then, with the machine running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil through the feed tube and process until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and toss with 1/2 of the pesto. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes. Reserve the other half of pesto sauce.
- Thread the shrimp crosswise onto long skewers - about 5-6 per skewer and throw out the marinade. Grill the skewers in batches over hot coals, 3 inches from the heat source, for 3-3 1/2 minutes per side or until the shrimp are cooked through and nicely colored.
- Remove the shrimp from the skewers and place in a bowl. Toss with the reserved pesto. Serve immediately.