Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A variation on the traditionally sweet snack. The filling can be substituted with tapenade, tahini or simply parmesan cheese for a variation. Can be made to step 3 in advance. Time includes 30 minutes freezing. Australian measurements used.
- Preheat oven to hot 220C(425F).
- Place basil, garlic, Parmesan and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until basil is roughly chopped. With the motor running, gradually add the oil in a thin stream and process until the mix is smooth. This is your pesto filling.
- Lay out a pastry sheet and spread with one quarter of the pesto. Roll up one side until you reach the middle then repeat with the other side. Set aside on a baking tray.
- Repeat this process with the remaining pastry and pesto.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Cut frozen pastry rolls into 1.5cm thick slices. With cut sides up, curl each slice into a semi-circle.
- Allowing room for expansion place onto greased, or lined, baking trays.
- Bake in batches for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot.