Recipe by Special Ed
This is something a concocted one morning, whilst looking in my fridge at the season's bounty: fresh basil pesto, fresh homemade pitas, eggs... Yeah Baby!
Top Review by YiayiaMouse
Ed, this recipe was OK for us (and our 2 friends). There was nothing at all wrong with it and it was just fine. The only reason we couldn't rate it higher was because it was just what it should be, but not beyond that. I will tell you that it is FAST and EASY and uses things generally in the fridge. That's a blessing in a hurry! Thanks, Ed. Made for PAC Fall 07
- 1 egg, large, brown (use any kind you want, really)
- 1 pita bread (approx. 6 inches)
- 1 slice American cheese (hey, it was handy! I think cheddar or Swiss would be even better!)
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
Directions See How It's Made
- Scramble the egg, and cook in med-hi skillet, flipping once midway through. Leaving it in a single piece, "omelet style" makes assembly and eating easier and neater.
- While the egg is cooking, wrap pita in a slightly damp dishtowel, and microwave for 20-40 seconds, until warm and pliable (be careful - it's hotter inside, so be careful opening the pita). You can leave the pita wrapped in the towel until ready to use it.
- Cut/tear the pita to make a flap of half the diameter of the pita; fold the flap back.
- fold the egg in half; melt the cheese on the egg, or make a cheese omelet if you wish.
- Slide the egg/cheese into the warm, waiting pita, stuffing it gently into the pouch of the bread,.
- Spread the pesto onto the inside of the "flap".
- Fold pita closed, and roll, if desired.
- NOTE: since you are multi-tasking here, I put a single time in the Preparation box, rather than try to split it up.