A flavorful, satisfying meal. My family can't get enough of this and guests rave and ask for the recipe. It is so simple to throw together for a last minute cook out. These are all ingredients I keep on hand.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce (you can use store bought or use your favorite homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese (small perlini mozzarella balls work best,you can use larger mozzarella, just cut it down into smalle)
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, sliced
- Pre-heat grill to high heat.
- Oil grill with light coat of oil (for charcoal oil before heating).
- Rinse chicken;pat dry.
- With sharp knife, cut a pocket deep lengthwise into the edge of each chicken breast. be careful not to cut all the way through.
- Season chicken with pepper.
- Spread 1 tablespoon pesto into each pocket.
- Fill each pocket with 1/4 of mozzarella balls and 1/4 of the red pepper slices.
- Spread remaining pesto over outside of chicken breasts to give it a light, even coating.
- Lay chicken on oil grill. Close lid.
- Cook until browned on bottom (about 7 minutes).
- Turn and continue cooking until browned on other side and no longer pink in center; about 7 minutes longer (carefully cut to test).
- Serve hot with some crusty bread, a tossed green salad, and fresh fruit.
What's not to love. Great ingredients wrapped in a cute little package. A great choice for when you want more flavor punch than just plain grilled chicken. Thank you.
Wonderful! I saw this meal and thought it sounded really beautiful. It was easy to make, quick, and tasted like I had ordered it in a really nice restaurant. I used my T-FAL portable grill and followed the directions of "heat on high, use oil to coat grill" for my first few chicken breasts. If using a small portable grill, don't spray anything on it first (burns the outside of the chicken when covered with the pesto mix) and the highest setting burns some too. After lowering the temp and not adding more Pam, they turned out beautifully. My husband was astonished at how easy/great it tasted.
Absolutely gorgeous!!! So few ingredients but outstanding flavour We all love pesto and this works so well. I baked mine too and will look forward to grilling. I made as is except I added lots of pesto to the inside of chicken as well as the outside so probably used a little more than stated but it was sooo good!!! I agree what a wonderful smell in the house I left the kitchen for a moment and I smelled the glorious smells as I came out of the bedroom heading back to the kitchen. The chicken was so moist and tender and Alskann I will be making this again and again. I always have pesto in the fridge and what a wonderful use of such a great ingredient:)