Recipe by Southern Bette
I created this vegetarian lasagna after getting sick of the same old recipe. Turns out it was a winner, and my husband can't stop raving about how much it taste likes his grandmother's lasagna, but with a twist. The marinara sauce also makes a good quick sauce for any pasta dish.
Top Review by chefamy
made this lasagna for PAC 08 and its was delicious however i have only given it 4 stars because it was SOOOOO rich! it was just a little too much cheese for me but the idea was wonderful! thank you!
- 2 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 15 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) jar pesto sauce
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 (9 ounce) box no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) bagpre-shredded pizza cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sautégarlic and onion in olive oil until onions are soft. Reduce heat and stir in the 2 cans of crushed tomatoes. Stir in spice and 1/2-1 can of tomato paste. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 1 hour.
- Thaw spinach and squeeze all of the water out. I use 1 and 3/4 packages of spinach--adjust to your taste. Mix ricotta and cottage cheese in a large bowl. Stir in spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, pesto, and salt and pepper to taste. When you have the taste to your liking, stir in the egg. This will help keep the lasagna together, but you will not taste it in the final product.
- Layer as follows into a 9x13 pan: Drizzle a little sauce in the bottom. Top with noodles. Spread Spinach mix and cover with 1/3 of the mozzarella slices and 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Repeat two more times, ending with cheese on the very top. Sprinkle the top with a little oregano and black pepper for aesthetic appearance.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. This dish can be made in advance and cooked right before serving.