Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Spinach & cheese lasagna with pesto sauce.
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles, partially cooked according to package directions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 30 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 24 ounces ricotta cheese (3 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups basil pesto (I like Nona Lena's Sicilian style pesto)
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (6 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Oil 13"x9" casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil.
- Sauté onion and garlic until onion is transparent.
- Add spinach; cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add ricotta, pesto, Parmesan, and nuts to spinach; mix well.
- Layer 5 lasagne noodles in bottom of casserole dish, slightly overlapping each other.
- Top with 1/3 of spinach mixture and 1/3 of mozarella cheese.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Bake until hot and bubbly (35 minutes).