Recipe by KLHquilts
This is a very satisfying sauce for pasta, veggies, or whatever ... you can't call it pesto -- it has basil and garlic, but no other traditional ingredients -- but it sure scratches my pesto itch! And I don't have to worry about the fat ...
- 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt cheese (preferably made from nonfat yogurt)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese (grated, fresh, of the highest quality)
Directions See How It's Made
- Process the basil and garlic in a food processor for a minute or two.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth. This might take a couple of minutes; you need to get all the lumps out of the cottage cheese.
- Enjoy over pasta or veggies, or use a half cup of this with a 15-oz. can of chickpeas, 2 tablespoons of tahini, and a tablespoon of lemon juice to make a yummy pesto hummus.