Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
The flavours of Italy combine in this stew that is especially good served over pasta or with grilled italian bread. If ripe tomatoes are unavailable, use canned tomatoes instead. From Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onions or 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 large tomatoes, ripe, peeled, seeded, and chopped or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato
- 3 cups cannellini beans or 3 cups white kidney beans, drained and rinsed, if canned
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce, basil
- Heat the oil in a medium size skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the onion to a 4 quart slow cooker. Add the bell pepper, both kinds of tomatoes, beans, and stock; season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in the pesto. Adjust seasoning.
Made this for dinner tonight. I didn't have time to fix it in the crock pot, so I simmered it on the stove top. We all felt like the recipe was missing something. I plan to make the recipe again however; I will play with it a bit and see if we come up with something more to our liking. It is a good base recipe though, and can easily be added to. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Made and reviewed for the Best of 2010 Recipe Tag game.
This was ok, but a bit too much like a herby soup for my liking. My family ate it though.