Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Where has this recipe been all my life? (Tucked away in my New Americana Cookbook.)
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt or 1⁄3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup low fat cottage cheese or 1⁄3 cup soft tofu
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄2 cup packed fresh basil, chopped (NOT dried)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, to taste (for spicier version, add your favorite whole chile -- jalapeno, serrano, Thai, etc.)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted (can substitute almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts)
- 2 medium avocados, peeled and pitted
- 2 -3 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup firm tomatoes, diced
- In a blender, puree the yogurt and cottage cheese until smooth.
- With blender running on high speed, through the feed tube add the garlic, fresh basil, olive oil, onion, Tabasco sauce, Parmesan cheese and nuts.
- Blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, mash the avocado together with the lemon juice using a fork. Fold in the yogurt/cottage cheese mixture then stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Adjust seasonings. If not eating immediately, cover well and refrigerate.
This was excellent! I hollowed out a red pepper and filled it with this delicous dip. This recipe makes a large amount, which is nice. I plan to use the leftovers in a cold pasta salad. Very spicy, but not hot at all.