Recipe by Grace Lynn
This meatloaf is much better the second day. Makes a great sandwich with rye bread and ketchup. I have made this meatloaf at least 20 times and always to rave reviews!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground chuck
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage, removed from its casing and crumbled
- 1 cup coarse breadcrumbs, preferably from toasted rye bread
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- pesto sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp,drained,and crumbled
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- pesto sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover the inside of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with aluminum foil.
- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly combine the ground chuck, sausage, bread crumbs, beaten eggs, salt, nutmeg, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine the pesto, 1 cup of the Cheddar cheese, the crumbled bacon,a nd the hard-cooked eggs.
- Place the meat mixture between 2 sheets of waxed paper and roll into a rectangular shape about 1/3 inch thick.
- Remove the top sheet of waxed paper and spread the pesto mixture all over the top of the flattened meat.
- Roll up the meat like a jelly roll, peeling back the remaining waxed paper as you go.
- Shape the ends of the roll, as needed, with your hands to form a neat cylindrical shape, entirely enclosing the pesto.
- Place the meat loaf, seam side down, in the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle the meat loaf with the remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Bake until cooked through and browned, 1 hour.
- Pesto: Place the garlic and half of the olive oil in a food processor.
- Process until the garlic is pureed.
- Add the remaining oil, the basil, pine nuts, and Parmesan.
- Process to a smooth paste.
- The pesto should be fairly dry for the meat loaf.
- If the puree is too wet, blot it with paper towels to remove excess oil.