Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lovely scone to go with dinner.
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 78.07 ml butter, cut into1/2 inch cubes
- 177.44 ml milk, room temperature
- 44.37 ml pesto sauce
- 78.07 ml feta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 22.18 ml sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 4.92 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 9.85 ml parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 400 °F
- Butter or lightly spray a 9 inch cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add the milk, and stir gently with a wooden spoon until mixture forms moist clumps. Do not over mix.
- Gather dough together with hands and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth.
- Roll dough with a floured rolling pin into a 16x 10 inch rectangle.
- With a knife or metal spatula evenly spread pesto over dough. Sprinkle with feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Starting at the short end, roll dough into a cylinder, brushing off any excess flour as you roll.
- With a sharp knife, cut dough in half, and then in half again (4 pieces).
- Cut each quarter into 3 equal pieces and place in the prepared pan, cut- side up. (12 pieces).
- Brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on top and toothpick inserted in center of scone comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
I modified these a bit...well actually, a lot. I was looking for a base for filled scrolls. I used cream cheese and pesto as a filling. The actual scrolls were beautiful. Light and fluffy and exactly what I was looking for. Next time I am going to make them with the sun dried tomato and feta.
Thanks for sharing. :)