Recipe by *Alia*
A lovely scone to go with dinner.
Top Review by *christie
I modified these a bit...well actually, a lot. I was looking for a base for filled scrolls. I used cream cheese and pesto as a filling. The actual scrolls were beautiful. Light and fluffy and exactly what I was looking for. Next time I am going to make them with the sun dried tomato and feta.
Thanks for sharing. :)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, cut into1/2 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup milk, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 °F
- Butter or lightly spray a 9 inch cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add the milk, and stir gently with a wooden spoon until mixture forms moist clumps. Do not over mix.
- Gather dough together with hands and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth.
- Roll dough with a floured rolling pin into a 16x 10 inch rectangle.
- With a knife or metal spatula evenly spread pesto over dough. Sprinkle with feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Starting at the short end, roll dough into a cylinder, brushing off any excess flour as you roll.
- With a sharp knife, cut dough in half, and then in half again (4 pieces).
- Cut each quarter into 3 equal pieces and place in the prepared pan, cut- side up. (12 pieces).
- Brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on top and toothpick inserted in center of scone comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.