Recipe by Juenessa
From Southern Living January 2007 test kitchen's top rated recipes.
Top Review by my3beachbabes
Wow, this was a delicious grilled cheese! I used a sun dried tomato pesto, YUM! My DH loved it and was asking me "Are you going to eat all of yours?". So I will be making this again! Thanks for posting this!!
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons jarred pesto sauce
- 8 sourdough bread, slices
- 4 slices Fontina cheese, slices*
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together mayonnaise and pesto sauce. (**Note: the pesto is a little salty--some might like it that way. However, I would suggest using between 1 and 2 tablespoons of pesto and see how you like it!).
- Spread evenly on 1 side of each sourdough bread slice.
- Place 4 bread slices, pesto sides down, on wax paper.
- Layer 4 bread slices on wax paper each with 1 fontina cheese slice, bell peppers, and 1 Cheddar cheese slice; top with remaining bread slices, pesto sides up.
- Cook sandwiches, in batches, on a hot griddle or in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, gently pressing with a spatula, 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese melts.
- *Provolone or mozzarella cheese slices may be substituted.