Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe courtesy of Fast Ed from Better Homes and Gardens, and what a winner, at least that's what we thought! I've adjusted it to use a whole chicken and a whole can of beans to avoid waste. I also apologise for using the phrase "to taste" so often but to me it's that kind of recipe. Use more pesto if you like, lots of pepper as we did or leave out the salt which we thought was not necessary. Ed served the mixture on toasted ciabatta fingers as a really pretty appetiser, we tried toasted whole slices of ciabatta smeared with rice bran oil spread and then later that night topped our baked spuds YUM! Hope you like this as much as we did. Also the number of servings is just a guess because it would depend on how you served the mixture. Cook time is chill time.
- 1 cooled roast whole chicken, skin and bones removed (about 2 1/2 cups meat)
- 4 tablespoons pesto sauce (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (to taste)
- 400 g butter beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ciabatta or pita bread or baked potato, to serve
- Shred chicken and place in a bowl.
- Add pesto, mayonnaise and lemon juice, toss to thoroughly combine.
- Fold through butter beans gently so they don’t break up too much.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Adjust the amount of lemon and mayonnaise to achieve the desired consistency.
- Serve on toasted Ciabatta fingers as an appetiser, on a piece of toast or bread as a light meal, stuffed in a pita with tomato and lettuce, in a baked potato -- or if you can think of another way, let me know!