Recipe by echo echo
Adapted from Cooking Light a few years ago. Can be frozen ahead. Serve as appetizers or as an entree. As an entree, it makes 6 servings.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
I made these using chicken breasts instead of thighs just beacuse that is what I had on hand. The pesto is really more of a gremolatta than a pesto. On the first evening we had this hot with a sundried tomato tapenade on the side. It was okay, but I really felt the parsley overwhelmed the more delicate flavor of the basil. Generally, it was very grassy. The leftovers were served cold on top of a leafy salad with sprouts, cucumbers carrots, and olives with a roasted red pepper dressing. Served cold, these were much better, the flavors melded a bit more - you could actually taste the garlic and basil. That said, I would still do a bit of adjusting were I too make this again. Mostly, I would prepare it with 3 parts basil to 1 part parley, add a little more garlic and perhaps a tiny bit of red pepper. Thanks echo echo.
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups basil leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Flatten chicken thighs.
- MAKE PESTO: Microwave oil and garlic together on HIGH 40 seconds; process with basil through pepper in a food processor.
- Spread about 1 tsp pesto down center of each thigh, leaving a ¼-inch border on short ends.
- Starting at a short end, roll each thigh up with pesto inside and secure with a toothpick.
- Arrange rolls ½ inch apart, seam sides down, in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° until a cooking thermometer registers 170° (about 30 minutes), turning rolls after 15 minutes.
- IMPORTANT: Cool, transfer to a covered container and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove toothpicks and cut each roll crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.