Recipe by Comedie
Simple dish, and variations are only limited by your imagination and what you have onhand. Listed is my basic recipe, but there really are many possibilities. Condensed soups or other sauces instead of pesto? Sure. Smoked gouda or chevre? Both favorites. Asparagus spears, or hot pepper slices in the center? Nice, but slightly precook them first.
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, grated or 1⁄2 cup crumbled such as mozzarella cheese, Provelone, Gouda
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, chopped (optional)
- cornmeal or panko breadcrumbs, spread out in a small plate
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Grease a standard 9 by 13 glass backing pan (or whatever you find as equivalent).
- Pound chicken breasts to about 1/4 inch thick. Pounding between sheets of plastic wrap keeps the bits off your walls :-).
- Divide filling ingredients into quarters.
- Spread one quarter of the pesto on inside, rougher surface of a chicken breast.
- Evenly sprinkle one quarter of the olives and cheese onto the pesto covered chicken breast.
- Roll up the chicken breast and then roll in the corn meal to coat.
- Place roll-up in the greased glass baking pan, seam down.
- Do the same to the other 3 breasts.
- Optionally spray tops with non-stick spray to attain browner crusts.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until center of each breast is done.
- Can serve as is immediately, or with a cheese sauce.