Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Courtesy of National Chicken Council.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lay chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Put flour in shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk together egg, 1 tablespoon pesto and water.
- In third shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon parsley.
- Dredge chicken in flour; dip in egg, turning to coat all sides. Then, dredge chicken in breadcrumbs.
- In large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Saute chicken until nicely browned on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to shallow baking dish.
- In medium bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, garlic and remaining pesto.
- Spoon sauce evenly over chicken breasts. Sprinkle each with Parmesan and pine nuts; top with slice of Provolone. Bake until chicken is cooked through and cheese is bubbling and browned, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve with pasta.