Recipe by little_wing
Came up with this one for pizza night...A hit with everyone in my family. Great with chicken or shrimp...whatever you have leftover. I think the balance of the savory pesto with the sweetness of tomato and caramelized onions turned out really nice. If you use a sweet onion such as Vidalia, you can omit the sugar. I used Kittencal's Perfect Pesto with great results. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by CoffeeQueen1
WOW!! DH and I had this last night and it was amazing!! We were unable to find roasted garlic so we mixed regular garlic with a 1/4 cup more pesto and spread that on the crust as well. We paired this with "WILDFLOURs" Cheese and Pesto stuffed mushrooms it was a delicious meal!! Thanks. We are fighting over the leftovers today:)
- 1 thin pizza crust
- 1 cooked chicken breasts, shredded or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 garlic cloves, roasted and mashed
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar substitute or 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small tomatoes, seeded, halved and sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded (or grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Melt 1 tbs butter over med-high heat until it starts to foam.
- Sautee mushrooms 5-7 minutes or until softened. Remove and set aside.
- Add reminaing 1 tbs of butter and onion to pan and stir. Cover and let cook about 5 minutes until onions soften.
- Remove lid and let cook 15-20 minutes or until nicely browned and caramelized, stirring midway. Pour balsamic vinegar and sprinkle sugar over onions and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, spread roasted garlic over crust.
- Spread pesto over crust.
- Top with chicken or shrimp, onions, mushrooms, tomato and cheeses.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until crust is brown and cheese is melted and bubbly and slightly browned.