Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is an adopted recipe. The orginal poster said "This is perfect for parties, especially if you like cheese and crackers, and my favorite, pesto!"
Cheese Mixture Ingredients
- 3 1⁄2 cups fresh parsley sprigs, trimmed
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf, trimmed
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- crackers, thin or French bread, slices thin
- Fill 3-quart saucepan with 4 cups water.
- Bring to boil over high heat 4 to 5 minutes.
- Dip 3 cups parsley and basil into boiling water just until wilted about 30 seconds.
- Rinse with cold water. Drain well, squeezing out excess liquid.
- Chop wilted parsley and basil leaves.
- Combine wilted parsley and basil, provolone cheese, pine nuts, cream cheese, garlic and red pepper in large mixer bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed 1 to 2 minutes.
- Shape into ball. Cover; refrigerate until firm at least 3 hours.
- Chop remaining parsley. Reshape ball, if necessary. Roll cheese ball in remaining chopped parsley to coat.
- Serve with crackers or thin French bread slices.
I'm not usually big on pesto but, after reading this recipe, I was intrigued, & rightly so ~ It makes for A VERY NICE TASTING APPETIZER! I particularly liked using the toasted pine nuts AND the fresh basil! Will be making this for several groups I host during the winter holidays! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for THE pillar in a lot of what goes on in Zaar, AND especially in Pick A Chef]
I scaled this down to make a small version and enjoyed it for lunch with sun chips. Very tasty and enjoyed. Thanks Susie! Made for being VIP in the vegetarian swap-Oct. 2011.