Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
An Italian-influenced burger that my husband and I love. Cosi buon, desidererete baciare il cuoco. Uses lots of fresh basil which we seem to always have a surplus of.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1⁄4 cup dry Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell peppers
- sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 8 buns or 8 sliced Italian bread
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (stems discarded)
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 3⁄4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- To make the pesto: Add the basil leaves, pine nuts, cheese, garlic, salt and pepper to the container of a food processor.
- While slowly adding the olive oil through the chute, pulse the processor on and off for 30 seconds.
- With the processor off, take a rubber spatula and scrape down the sides; replace the lid and pulse for approximately 10 more seconds or until the pesto is well blended.
- To make the burgers: In a mixing bowl (using your hands or a wooden spoon) combine the ground beef, 1/2 cup pesto, breadcrumbs, oregano, and red pepper; ingredients should be well distributed.
- Shape mixture into 4 patties; season lightly with salt and pepper if desired.
- Place patties on a grill over medium-high heat; grill for 5 minutes on one side, turn pattties over and grill for about 5 more minutes or until cooked through.
- Thinly spread pesto on the cut sides of toasted buns or Italian bread.
- You may drizzle additional pesto over the burgers, then serve on toasted buns/bread.
Good, simple, I admit I used bottled pesto, which also made it fast. Served without buns with grilled marinated veggies. Super good, smelled great cooking. Next time I will do it with turkey for sure!
Wow. Sounded simple and straight-forward and it was as far as making the burgers goes, particularly if you have pesto on hand. The taste, however, was something special. I used the homemade pesto I had leftover, putting 1/3 cup into ground turkey and never did use any on the buns. Hubby never had a clue he was eating turkey burgers, which he is not fond of. Outstanding, Nurse Di.