This is a very easy pesto bread roll. I am a novice at making bread and even I can make this. I found this recipe in "A Passion for Baking" by Marcy Goldman. I recommend reading all the step before making.
- stack two large baking sheets together (keeps bottom from burning) and line top baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixer bowl, whisk water and yeast together and let stand until dissolved (2 or 3 minutes).
- Add 1 cup of flour and stir, Then stir in sugar, salt, oil and most of the remaining flour. Once mixed together attach the dough hook and knead on the lowest speed 6 to 8 minutes the dough should be smooth and elastic, add more flour if needed.
- Remove dough hook from your machine then spray dough with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and let rise (45 to 90 minutes) or until almost doubled in size.
- Gently deflate dough on a lightly floured surface. Let rest for 10 minutes ,now roll it out into a 20x20 inch shape. If the dough is being a bit fussy let it rest a few more minutes. Drizzle some olive oil over then smear the pesto all over the dough. Now roll the dough up jelly roll style , Shape dough in an "S" shape on the baking sheet with the seem on the bottom.
- Drizzle oil on top and dust with the finishing touches.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it rise and become puffy.(about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Press bread down just a little before putting in the oven. Bake until it is well brown, around 35 to 45 minutes.
- Cool on a baking sheet.
MY DD absolutely BEGS for this recipe. It is extremely flavorful and has a wonderful presentation so it's perfect to take to get-togethers or to make for company. Thanks for sharing, craftymama!