Recipe by KyJo
Something different to go with your Italian dinner in place of or in addition to, garlic bread. Especially good topped with hot pepper jelly.
Top Review by Jan Black
This was a great change of pace in the bread department for us. I was pushed for time so I used good old Bisquick. Then I used equal amounts of basil pesto and sun dried tomato pesto. I was able to hide a couple for breakfast tomorrow and plan on serving them with the pepper jelly. This has gone into my *Keeper* folder and will be shared with the family.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup basil pesto
- 1⁄2 cup milk, approximately
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening and pesto, using a pastry blender or fork.
- Stil in enough milk so that dough leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface.
- Knead lightly, 10 times.
- Pat or roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with floured biscuit cutter.
- Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.