Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄4 lbs deli roast beef, thinly sliced
- 1 loaf French bread (round, crusty, 12-inch diameter) or 1 loaf Italian bread (round, crusty, 12-inch diameter)
- 1⁄3 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce (prepared)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained well
- 3 cups mixed baby lettuces and spring greens (3 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese (mild, 3 ounces) or 1⁄2 cup goat's cheese, crumbled (3 ounces)
- to taste pepper
- Cut bread loaf horizontally in half; remove center of bread, leaving 1-inch thick shell.
- In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, pesto sauce and lemon juice; spread mixture on cut surfaces of both halves.
- Layer roast beef, roasted peppers, salad greens and cheese on bottom half.
- Season with pepper, if desired; close with top bread loaf half.
- Cut into 6 wedges.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1/6 of recipe). Tip: A good French or Italian bread, crusty outside but soft inside, works best. If not available, sandwich may be made with t wo 6- to 8-inch round loaves or one long Italian bread loaf.
This was a fine sandwich, I'll definitely be making it again. I think you could also use blue cheese rather than goat or feta--blue seems to go well with roast beef.