Recipe by foxfyre
This is an adaptation of my Artichoke Chicken with Rice recipe (#183814). The pesto saves time on mixing up seasonings, and lends a wonderfully rich flavor to the rice. PLEASE NOTE: Due to comments on this and my similar recipe I've noted that you need to use converted or brown rice for this to turn out right.
Top Review by Pam-I-Am
I like all of these ingredients separately, but when you put them together, it just didn't work for me. My daughter, who will eat most anything I cook took a pass on it tonight. I felt there was too much of an artichoke taste going on. Maybe cutting the artichokes to 1/2 a can would be better. But another problem was the pesto sauce. It soaked into the rice turning it a greenish grey color. Not a very attractive dish when served. Sorry. :-(
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups converted rice or 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) canquartered artichoke hearts
- 1 (10 ounce) jarclassico traditional basil pesto
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Place rice in crockpot and add the broth.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Place chicken on rice and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add artichoke hearts.
- Pour pesto over chicken and artichokes, then spoon cream of chicken soup over the top.
- Cover and cook for 4 - 6 hours. Check rice and stir about an hour before cooking is complete to avoid "mushy" rice.