Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is an adaptation of my Artichoke Chicken with Rice recipe (#183814). The pesto saves time on mixing up seasonings, and lends a wonderfully rich flavor to the rice. PLEASE NOTE: Due to comments on this and my similar recipe I've noted that you need to use converted or brown rice for this to turn out right.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups converted rice or 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) canquartered artichoke hearts
- 1 (10 ounce) jarclassico traditional basil pesto
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- Place rice in crockpot and add the broth.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Place chicken on rice and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add artichoke hearts.
- Pour pesto over chicken and artichokes, then spoon cream of chicken soup over the top.
- Cover and cook for 4 - 6 hours. Check rice and stir about an hour before cooking is complete to avoid "mushy" rice.
I like all of these ingredients separately, but when you put them together, it just didn't work for me. My daughter, who will eat most anything I cook took a pass on it tonight. I felt there was too much of an artichoke taste going on. Maybe cutting the artichokes to 1/2 a can would be better. But another problem was the pesto sauce. It soaked into the rice turning it a greenish grey color. Not a very attractive dish when served. Sorry. :-(
Unfortunately we didn't like it... The taste of the pesto was not a good combination with the chicken... And I used a delicious basil pesto I buy at Sam's.
Easy and adaptable. I have made this about 3 times now and have made it a different way each time. I now add frozen spinach and I only use about 4 tbsp of pesto and the taste is fine. This is a keeper for me.