Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Based on a recipe from Grandma's Italian Kitchen cookbook. If you love pesto, you'll like this soup!
- 1 (9 ounce) packagefresh cheese tortellini
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and slivered
- 3⁄4 cup frozen green pea
- 3 -4 cups fresh spinach, washed and stems removed
- 1 -2 tablespoon pesto sauce or 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook tortellini according to package directions, drain.
- Meanwhile, boil broth over high heat in covered Dutch oven.
- Add cooked tortellini, peppers and peas; return broth to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in spinach and pesto.
I have never rated a recipe one star. I followed the recipe to the "t". I used store bought pesto so maybe this made a difference. IMO, I think there is too much spinach. I would add the spinach at your discretion. It was very bland, no flavor. Sorry mersaydees!
Yes, this is a must if you are a pesto-lover! This goes together surprisingly quickly. The flavors go together perfectly; I used 1T pesto and it was very prominent throughout. I did add another cup and a half of water to spread it a little bit further. Didn't use any cheese. Would definitely make again!
This soup is so delicious. And healthy at the same time. I used low fat, reduced sodium chicken broth. I used 4 cups of fresh spinach. And only 1 tbs of pesto. This was so easy to do. Thanks Mersaydees. Made for Newest Zaar Tag