Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Try to locate a wedge of Brie that comes from the Brie region of France for these great canapés from Word of Mouth in New York City. If the Brie is labeled “Appellation d'Origine Controlee" such as Brie de Meaux it is a quality Brie that tastes nothing like grocery store brie. Rouge et Noir Triple Cream Brie is an excellent alternative to French Brie that is sold in most larger grocery chains. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb ripe brie cheese, rind removed, at room temperature
- 1 baguette, sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick (50 slices)
- Set oven to 350 degrees. Spread pine nuts evenly on a baking sheet and toast until they turn golden, about 5-6 minutes; occasionally shake the pan while they are baking. Coarsely chop the pine nuts and set aside.
- Mix the sun-dried tomatoes with the garlic, Parmesan, olive oil, parsley, basil and pepper in a small mixing bowl.
- Toast the baguette rounds at this point if you want a crispier bottom. They can be served either way - fresh or toasted.
- Place the Brie in a medium mixing bowl and energetically beat until smooth. Spread about a teaspoon of Brie on each baguette slice, top with 1/2 teaspoon pesto, add pine nuts and serve.
I made this for a bridal shower and had intended to heat them as noted in the other comment. I had guests eating them off the baking sheet before I could get them to the oven. I ran out of the pesto mixture and had to use bottled tomato pesto to finish up. The recipe pesto was far superior.
These were quite nice, very tasty. The only changes I made were to use a multi-grain baguette and to sub basil paste because I couldn't find fresh basil. I also spread half of them onto a baking sheet and warmed them at 400°F for 3 minutes to melt the cheese on top. They were great both hot and at room temperature.