Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
So tasty! From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups peaches, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- oil (for frying)
- lightly sweetened whipped cream (to garnish) (optional)
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs and beat thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients to the batter alternatively with the milk.
- Fold in peaches, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Preheat oil in a large stockpot or deep fryer to 365°F.
- Drop by teaspoonsful into hot fat and fry until golden brown.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or sprinkle with powdered sugar.