Recipe by Sackville
Try something different the next time you have mussels. This is especially attractive if you have some pretty shells to serve the mussel and salad mixture on.
Top Review by CharoPeru
Perfect! This is authentically Peruvian! And the tips on how to make sure the mussels are good are very helpful! Thank you! If you add some finely minced cilantro to the broth of the mussels and a 1/2 cup of rice you get a great soup too!
- 12 fresh mussels
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 limes, juiced
- 2 hot peppers (one orange, one red)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup corn kernel, cooked
- 1⁄2 tomatoes, peeled,seeded and cut in small cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 key lime, cut in wedges to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse mussels thoroughly and scrub under running water.
- Discard any mussels that are not tightly closed.
- Cook mussels in boiling water and remove from pan as soon as they open, to prevent overcooking them.
- Discard mussels that do not open.
- Open mussels with a knife and place half on a serving dish.
- Deseed, devein and chop the hot peppers.
- Combine in a medium size bowl, onion, hot peppers, tomato, parsley, corn, oil, key lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Let mixture stand for 15 minutes.
- Place approximately 1 1/2 tablespoon of this mixture over each mussel.
- Serve with lime wedges.