From myrecipes.com. Here's what the intro for this recipe says. In Peru, small streams wind their way from the mountains to the coast, and the delicious shrimp that fill them are cooked with local corn, squash, and potatoes to make this South American chowder called chupe. Don't peel the shrimp before cooking them in Step 1: The shells will flavor the cooking oil, which in turn will flavor the soup. The corn is traditionally left on the cob, but if the prospect of eating it this way (it is messy) bothers you, use two cups of kernels instead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 lb unpeeled medium shrimp
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 small head green cabbage, chopped (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 lb baking potato, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks (about 2)
- 4 ears corn, halved
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1In a large pot, heat the oil over moderate heat.
- 2Add the shrimp and 1 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the shrimp are pink and firm, about 5 minutes.
- 3Remove with a slotted spoon.
- 4When the shrimp are cool enough to handle, peel them and set aside.
- 5Add the onion, cayenne, paprika, cumin, and another teaspoon of the salt to the pot.
- 6Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add the Tabasco, squash, cabbage, potatoes, corn, and water to the pot.
- 8Cover and bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 10Add the cream and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 11Stir in the peeled shrimp, the remaining teaspoon of salt, and the peas, if using.
- 12Cook until the shrimp are just heated through, about 2 minutes.
Browse Our Top Peruvian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peruvian Shrimp-And-Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (1271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 725.3
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 224.7 mg
- Sodium 2457.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 26.6 g