pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
An interesting-looking salad from South American Food and Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- olive oil
- 4 ounces green beans, halved
- 1/2 cup baby corn
- 2 eggs, hard boiled and halved
- 1 -2 ounce ham, cut into slices (optional)
- 1 small avocado
- lemon juice
- 3 ounces mixed salad greens
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 10 stuffed olives, halved
- 1make dressing by placing all ingredients in a bowl and whisking with a fork or whisk, till smooth.
- 2Put the cooked rice in a large, glass salad bowl and spoon in half of the dressing.
- 3Add chopped parsley, stir well and set aside.
- 4Cut the pepper in half, remove seeds and pith, then place the halves, cut side down in a small roasting pan.
- 5Add onion rings, sprinkle onion with a little olive oil, place the pan under a broiler and cook for 5-6 minutes till pepper blackens and blisters and onion turns golden. You may need to stir the onion so that it cooks evenly.
- 6Stir onion in with rice. Put the pepper in a plastic bag and knot the bag. When the steam has loosened the skin on the pepper halves and they are cool enough to handle, peel them and cut into thin strips.
- 7Cook the green beans in boiling water for 2 minutes, then add the corn and cook for 1-2 ninutes more, till tender. Drain vegetables, refresh under cold water and drain again.
- 8Place in a large mixing bowl and add pepper strips, eggs and ham, if using.
- 9Peel the avocado, remove the pit and cut into slices or chunks. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- 10Put the salad greens in a separate bowl, add the avocado and mix lightly. Arrange the salad leaves and avocado on top of the rice.
- 11Stir in about 3 T of the dressing into the green bean mixture. Pile on top of salad.
- 12Sprinkle the capers and olives on top and serve with remaining dressing.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peruvian Salad
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.8
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 107.2 mg
- Sodium 122.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed salad greens