1 hr 5 mins
One of the recipe testers for Foodnetwork called home to recreate this family food memory-from Peru to you! I got this from the Food Network Kitchens cookbook, a prize I won in the Iron Chef game! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head garlic
- 1 chicken, excess fat trimmed and giblets removed (3-4 pound)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (plus addtiional salt for seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (plus additional for seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2Preheat the oven to 425*F.
- 3Remove 5 cloves from the head of garlic, then halve the remaining head horizontally.
- 4Season the chicken cavity with salt and pepper to taste, then stuff with the halved garlic. Smash the garlic cloves, sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt, and with the side of a large knife, mash and smear with the mixture to a coarse paste. Put the garlic in a bowl and mix with the vinegar, 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, and cumin. Rub the garlic mixture on the outside of the chicken.
- 5Whisk the soy sauce and sugar together and brush all over the outside of the bird. Tuck the wings under the back, cross the legs, tie them with kitchen twine. Set a v-rack or regular rack in a roasting pan and brush with the oil.
- 6Place the chicken breast side down on the rack and roast until the back is golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Remove the pan from oven and turn the chicken breast side up. Cut the string where it holds the legs together and gently open up the legs a bit. Baste the chicken with the pan drippings and roast again until the breast is golden brown and a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 170*F., 20-25 more minutes.
- 7Move the chicken to a carving board and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- 8To make the Aji Verde sauce:.
- 9Puree the cilantro, cheese, olive oil, water, jalapenos, garlic, vinegar, and salt in a blender or food processor until smooth. Carve the chicken and serve drizzled with the sauce. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peruvian Roast Chicken With Aji Verde
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.1
- Calories from Fat 357
- Total Fat 39.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 96.5 mg
- Sodium 1551.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 25.1 g