1/1 Photo of Peruvian Quinoa Stew....(Vegan/Vegetarian)
magpie diner's Note:
Yet another one from Moosewood cooks at home. I guess I'm in the mood for stew! You can top this with grated cheddar if you like (or vegan cheese for that mater). Cilantro is optional, but I think it really makes it. I also like cornbread with this - very satisying.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil (any light oil)
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced (1/4-inch thick slices)
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (any colour)
- 1/2 zucchini, cubed
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned, undrained, a 28oz/800 ml tin works well)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch cayenne (or to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 2 tsp fresh)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- fresh cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- 1Rinse your quinoa really well. Place it in a pot with the water and cook, covered over medium heat, for about 15 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- 2While the quinoa cooks, saute the onions and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- 3Add in the celery and carrots. Continue to cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring often so nothing sticks or burns.
- 4Add in the bell pepper, zucchini and tomatoes, along with the spices (cumin, chili powder, coriander, cayenne and oregano). Let that blend together for just a few more minutes and then stir in the stock. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until the veggies are tender.
- 5Stir in the cooked quinoa and adjust the salt to taste. Just before serving, stir in the cilantro if you choose, or sprinkle on top.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peruvian Quinoa Stew....(Vegan/Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.9
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 37.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: