1/3 Photos of Peruvian Quinoa Shrimp Chicharrones With Green Aji Sauce
Posted for the Central and South America stop on the Summer '08 Zaar World Tour. Chicharrones are a popular fried snack in Peru, and some chefs there are serving them with quinoa in the coating. This is a lighter version, using the technique of oven-frying to keep the coating from soaking up oil. The quinoa has a wonderful crunch, even without frying. Creator Robin Asbell used red quinoa for a dramatic look (this is a stunning photo in "The New Whole Grains Cookbook" and I'm sure a Zaar photographer can take an equally beautiful one using red or regular quinoa).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 jumbo shrimp or 16 prawns, deveined and with tails on
- 1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed (or regular quinoa)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1Make the sauce first. In a food processor or blender, finely mince the jalapeno, garlic and cilantro. Add the lime juice and salt, and puree. Drizzle in the olive oil to make a smooth sauce. Reserve.
- 2Bring a large pot of water to boil. Rinse the quinoa and add it to the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes, then drain.
- 3Spread the quinoa out on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to dry. It should be quite dry to the touch; pat it with towels if necessary.
- 4Pat the shrimp dry, if damp, and place in a medium bowl. Mix the oregano, cumin, and cayenne and sprinkle it over the shrimp; toss to coat.
- 5Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- 6Prepare two pie pans, one with the flour and one with the beaten eggs.
- 7Dip the shrimp in the flour, then the egg, then the quinoa.
- 8Place two heavy baking pans in the hot oven for five minutes. Take each out, spray liberally with oil, then quickly place the shrimp on the hot pans, keeping them from touching.
- 9Spray the coated shrimp with oil, and bake for five minutes.
- 10Flip the shrimp with tongs, then bake for five minutes more.
- 11Remove from the oven and cut one through the thickest part to ensure they are cooked through. The baking time will vary with the size of the shrimp.
- 12Serve the shrimp hot with the aji sauce.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peruvian Quinoa Shrimp Chicharrones With Green Aji Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.2
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 234.1 mg
- Sodium 820.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 23.3 g