1/1 Photo of Peruvian Papas a La Huancaína (Potatoes With Cheese)
Papas a la huancaína (potatoes with cheese) is a popular meal during Carnival. From FoodinPeru.com
My Private Note
cup ser ...
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml lemon juice
- 0.59 ml ground red pepper (or more, to taste)
- salt, to taste
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 709.77 ml monterey jack cheese or 709.77 ml swiss cheese, shredded
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 354.88 ml heavy cream
- 6 potatoes, drained, peeled, and quartered
- 1-2 hard-boiled egg, for garnish
- 1Scrub the potatoes, place them in a saucepan, cover with water, and boil until tender (about 20 minutes). Drain, allow the potatoes to cool. Peel them, cut them into quarters, and set aside.
- 2In a small mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, red pepper, and salt. Add onion slices and coat them with the mixture. Stir well and set aside.
- 3Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat.
- 4Add cheese, turmeric, and heavy cream. Stirring constantly, continue cooking over low heat until cheese melts and mixture is smooth.
- 5Add the cooked potatoes and gently stir to heat through, about 5 minutes. Do not allow mixture to boil, or it will curdle.
- 6Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with hard-boiled eggs.
- 7Sprinkle onion mixture over the potatoes. Serve immediately while potatoes are hot.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peruvian Papas a La Huancaína (Potatoes With Cheese)
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 643.3
- Calories from Fat 403
- Total Fat 44.8 g
- Saturated Fat 25.4 g
- Cholesterol 162.8 mg
- Sodium 349.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 20.6 g