Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Papas a la huancaína (potatoes with cheese) is a popular meal during Carnival. From FoodinPeru.com
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (or more, to taste)
- salt, to taste
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese or 3 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 6 potatoes, drained, peeled, and quartered
- 1 -2 hard-boiled egg, for garnish
- Scrub the potatoes, place them in a saucepan, cover with water, and boil until tender (about 20 minutes). Drain, allow the potatoes to cool. Peel them, cut them into quarters, and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, red pepper, and salt. Add onion slices and coat them with the mixture. Stir well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat.
- Add cheese, turmeric, and heavy cream. Stirring constantly, continue cooking over low heat until cheese melts and mixture is smooth.
- Add the cooked potatoes and gently stir to heat through, about 5 minutes. Do not allow mixture to boil, or it will curdle.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with hard-boiled eggs.
- Sprinkle onion mixture over the potatoes. Serve immediately while potatoes are hot.
I learned this recipie from my Peruvian family in Peru. They use feta and you dont need to melt it as this is a cold dish. Everything is blended in the blender and put over cooked potatoes which have been thickly sliced.
I had trouble getting the cheese to melt smoothly into the cream(I used the swiss), it came out a little lumpy no matter what I did(I made sure not to boil it). Also, the sauce was a little thin, maybe because of the cheese. Other than that small problem this dish was a hit. I loved the onions! They added a nice acidic crunch to the dish. The eggs were a nice touch as well. Made for ZWT7.