Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Revised this after reading the Guppy Gourmet's review and made it twice myself and like it now with the caramel revision. A Peruvian dessert adapted from fooddownunder.com. Flan should be made a few days ahead to set up properly and any fruit you like will work for the garnish. The directions do not include the last chilling time. I am not a Kahlua person, but wonder if two tablespoons or more of Kahlau and 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract would be an option that other people would like. Frangelico might be good, too. Or cinnamon-although that might turn it a strange color?
For caramel sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 strawberries (optional)
- 8 maraschino cherries (optional)
- 8 raspberries (optional)
- To prepare sauce, put medium size heavy skillet (empty) over medium heat (large burner) for 40 seconds. (I have an electric stove so would be less for gas.).
- Keep burner at medium, add sugar to the pan and stir with the back of a wooden spoon, keep sugar moving constantly until sugar is completely melted and a rich medium brown color (caramelized)--between 9 and 10 minutes. NOTE: I also use a FORK to squish out any lumps at the end of this process.
- Immediately - and carefully - pour hot sauce into ovenproof pie plate or 9 inch round baking pan, gently moving dish so sauce covers bottom and sides. It is unnecessary to grease the pie dish.
- Let cool completely-about 40 minutes.
- To prepare the custard for the flan; preheat oven to 350 degrees and notice that for step 11 you will need to have boiling water.
- Stir eggs in a medium sized bowl.
- Slowly add condensed milk, then evaporated milk.
- Add vanilla, blending well.
- Pour flan mixture into ovenproof dish that you have already coated with caramel.
- Carefully place filled dish into a larger baking pan.
- Pour in enough hot water to reach about halfway up dish. (This water bath process is called bano mar(acu)a in Spanish and bain-marie in French.).
- Bake about 40 minutes.
- Flan is cooked when a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let cool in water bath, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
- Carefully separate flan from dish with a thin knife.
- Invert on a flat dish and garnish with sliced strawberries, maraschino cherries or other fruit.
- Notes: Flan should be refrigerated for a few days because it tastes best served very cold. Use boiling water to clean up the hardened caramel on your utensils and pan.:).
This is a three because the caramel has too much water. Use 2 cups sugar and about 6 Tbsp water to get the right results. That is way too much water. Custard is amazing and worked well. I served it with a strawberry sauce with fresh lemon. Very popular. Not too sweet which is important to us.