Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
While browsing in one of the local grocery stores, (what? you don't do that?) I saw a bag of frozen mixed seafood. I love all kinds of seafood, but I don't cook it very often, so I started looking for recipes where I might use this little bag of goodies. This recipe is from Good Housekeeping.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- clam juice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and juice discarded
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 limes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cod fish fillets, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 lb medium scallops, each cut horizontally in half
- 1⁄2 lb cleaned squid, bodies sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide rings and tentacles cut into pieces if large
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- In 6-quart saucepot, heat oil on medium until hot. Add onion and serrano; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and cumin; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in clam juice, tomatoes, water, potatoes, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; cover and heat to boiling on medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are just fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, cut 1 lime lengthwise in half. Cut 1 lime half in half again and remaining lime into 6 wedges to make 8 wedges in all; set aside.
- Add cod and remaining lime half to saucepot; cover and cook 5 minutes. Add scallops and squid; cover and cook 1 minute.
- Remove saucepot from heat. With tongs, remove lime half, squeezing juice into soup. Stir in chopped cilantro, and serve with reserved lime wedges. Makes about 11 1/4 cups.