Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Thick with cream, chicken, and vegetables, this colorful soup is perfect for those blustery days when you just want to curl up in front of the fireplace. (Aji Panca is a type of chile pepper that is commonly grown in Peru, and frequently used in Pervian cuisine. It is dark red, mild pepper with a smokey, fruity taste. It's often sold dried, or prepared into a paste. You can find the dried peppers and jarred paste in Latin & Asian grocery stores.)
- 1 lb ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups milk
- 21 1⁄2 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup (2 cans)
- 11 ounces canned corn, with peppers & black beans, drained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 8 ounces diced green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons aji panca chilies (in pepper paste)
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, fresh & snipped (or parsley)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- fresh cilantro (optional) or parsley (optional)
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven cook ground chicken or turkey, onion, and garlic until chicken or turkey is no longer pink and onion is tender but not brown.
- Drain fat from pan.
- Stir in milk, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, corn, tomatoes, chili peppers, aji panca, cilantro or parsley, and ground red pepper.
- Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese; cook and stir until cheese melts.
- Garnish each serving with additional cilantro or parsley, if desired.