Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
An all-in-one dish to tempt your tastebuds. The originaly recipe calls for frying the chicken, to give it a golden skin, but you could also try crisping it in the oven, to cut the fat.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and shallow fry in oil until golden.
- Remove chicken.
- In the same pan, sauté garlic, onion, the chopped hot pepper and cilantro.
- Return chicken pieces to pan, add beer and continue cooking until chicken is tender.
- Remove pieces, keep them warm.
- Add rice, peas, corn and peppers.
- Pour water and cook at medium heat for 20 minutes more or until rice is done.
- Serve rice with chicken pieces and garnish with pepper strips.
Delicious!! I made this for my visiting parents, and I used a habanero from my garden, this was so good it was spicy but not over the top, I used a very dark hoppy beer, cuz thats what my husband drinks so it's all I had and it was just fantastic! This is one of my new favorite dishes, thanks so much!! I LOVE this!
Overall, a good dish, but it was NOT spicy at all. I used one chopped jalapeno as directed. We have to put salsa in it to give it a kick. The flavor outside of that is very nice, though. The chicken was tasty and tender. Oh, and it also took more than 50 minutes for it to cook. I don't know if it's the rice we used or what, but the rice took FOREVER to get done cooking.
I loved the rice more than chicken but that is a personal preference. My husband went crazy for this dish but I think it needs more salt at the end of cooking. Also it doesn't say, but I assumed you cover wihile rice cooks?????