Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
This traditional Peruvian soup contains large pieces of chicken breast and potato cooked with peas, corn, and red pepper. It is a light version of the Peruvian Chicken Chowder (Chupe de Pollo).
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breast halves, cut in half
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon seeded minced serrano chili
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup corn
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper; Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, and serrano chili; cook until the onion has softened, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken, and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro, peas, corn, and red pepper; cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth, potatoes, and rice.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the chicken is opaque and the potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes.