Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
This traditional Peruvian soup contains large pieces of chicken breast and potato cooked with peas, corn, and red pepper. It is a light version of the Peruvian Chicken Chowder (Chupe de Pollo).
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breast halves, cut in half
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon seeded minced serrano chili
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup corn
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper; Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, and serrano chili; cook until the onion has softened, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken, and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro, peas, corn, and red pepper; cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth, potatoes, and rice.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the chicken is opaque and the potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes.