A truly delcious soup that we accompany with hot crusty bread. Also, in order to reduce the cooking time, you should cut your potatoes and chicken into smaller pieces. However, I wanted to leave the recipe in its original form as it was given to me.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, & cut in half
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon serrano chili, seeded & minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup corn
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, and serrano chili; cook until the onion has softened, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken, and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro, peas, corn, and red pepper; cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth, potatoes, and rice.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the chicken is opaque and the potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes.