Recipe by Chocolatl
Escabeche is a very sour sauce, the cooked equivalent of ceviche, so don't make it if you don't like it tart. Adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine, February 1978. Times are for a 675-watt oven. Cook time includes standing time.
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in a glass bowl and bring to a boil.
- Arrange chicken pieces in a microwave-safe 9"x13" casserole, placing meatier parts toward outside edge.
- Pour hot marinade over chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for 8 minutes.
- Turn chicken, cover, and cook on high for 8 minutes.
- Let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- This may be served hot or cold.