Lavender Lynn's Note:
Like carpaccio, ceviche (seh-VEE-chay) is a raw fish recipe that modern cooks just love to play with. It is essentially fish "cooked" in the acid of citrus juice and served with a cold beer on a hot day. The dish originates in Peru, and is thought to be a development from Spanish escabeche, which is a vinegar-marinated dish. This recipe is for the classic Peruvian ceviche. Ceviche is so sharp and acidic it cries out for beer and tortilla chips as an accompaniment -- although you won't find tortilla chips in Peru. In Peru, you will most often find this served with potatoes, either sweet or white.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fish fillet, white saltwater (albacore, sole, snapper, halibut anything you would see on a sushi menu)
- 1 cup lime juice, key limes if you can get them
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 rocoto chilies (chile manzano in Mexican markets) or 2 aji amarillo chilies (substitute a habanero)
- 1 medium onion, sliced very thinly into half-moons
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1Cut the fish into small pieces: You can dice it or leave it in pieces up to 1 inch square, but remember that the larger the pieces the longer it will take to marinate.
- 2Salt the fish, then cover with the citrus juice in a non-reactive (glass or plastic) container with a lid. Add the sliced onions and the chiles.
- 3Chill this in the fridge for at least 2 hours, possibly as much as 3 hours -- very large pieces can take longer. If your fish is truly raw-eating quality, it is OK if the centers of the pieces are still raw-looking.
- 4To serve, lay down some of the onions and chiles and top with the fish. Garnish with the cilantro.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peruvian Ceviche
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 68.2
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 24.9 mg
- Sodium 734.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 10.8 g