Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Peruvian food is a little strange for me. The first dish I had was with raw fish.I cringed at hearing the words "raw fish". Surprisingly, it was delicious. Last nite, a Peruvian friend came over and cooked something that completely blew my tastebuds and I craved for even more. She cooked Arroz con Pollo a la Peru.
- 8 piece skinless chicken
- salt and pepper
- 118.29 ml oil
- 1 big red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 236.59 ml fresh cilantro, blended in a food processor with a little water
- 118.29 ml Guinness stout or 118.29 ml lager beer
- 2 bell peppers, sliced for added color (1 red and 1 green or or yellow. This is optional)
- 709.77 ml rice
- 236.59 ml mix peas
- 591.47 ml chicken stock
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper. Fry in oil until golden brown and remove from fire. Leave to cool.
- In the same oil, saute the chopped garlic, onion, bell peppers and cilantro. You can also use really red hot firebird peppers if you like it spicy.
- Add the chicken and stir for 2 - 3 minutes. Add beer and simmer for about 10 minutes until chicken is cooked.
- Add the rice and mixed peas. Mix well for a couple of minutes. Add chicken stock (salt if needed) and simmer for another 20 minutes or until rice is cooked and slightly burnt at the bottom.
Yummy! But needs a few additions imho: 1/2 cup finely diced carrots, bell pepper, (frozen corn), bulb of garlic and a few dried seeded chili peppers (blend with sauteed onion, garlic and cilantro). 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts is plenty for my family of 6. 8 seems excessive to me. Make sure you make some marinated tomato and onion slices in olive oil and vinegar to throw on top!
This was delicious and authentic. Just the smell of it cooking reminded me of my childhood. My Ecuadorean grandmother cooked something very similar and garnished it with hard-cooked egg slices. My entire family loved it and I will be making it again next week. Thanks for posting this great recipe!
Really outstanding. Love the flavour of cilantro. I used only one red bell pepper.