Recipe by LuckyMomof3
I wanted to have a "nice", romantic dinner with my DH and came up with this. It's handy because you can use your choice of veggies!
Top Review by Sueski
My husband and I both agree...5 Stars! This recipe is a 'keeper'...its delicious and easy to make. The bacon really makes this dish outstanding. One day I 'cheated' and added a small can of Rotel. :) Yummy! Thanks, LuckyMomof3 for sharing your recipe.
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes (or 8 fresh peeled and seeded)
- 6 slice bacon (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 9.85 ml oregano
- 14.79 ml parsley
- 4.92 ml basil
- 473.18-709.77 ml chunky vegetables (see below)
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 roasted garlic cloves
- 10 whole shrimp (uncooked) (optional)
- 450 g spaghetti (or your favorite pasta)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- feta cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep dish fry pan sautee bacon, onion and garlic over med-high heat until onion is soft and bacon is cooked but not too crispy.
- Add can of tomatoes, oregano, parsley and basil.
- Bring mixture to light boil and turn down to simmer DO NOT COVER, let it render down to make a thick sauce (about 20 min). Cover and keep hot.
- Cook noodles so they are el dente. Rinse and drain.
- Place veggies ( I used purple onion cut into eighths(held together with toothpick), whole baby carrots, celery cut on the bias, red pepper 2x2" squares, rounds of zucchini and broccoli flowerets) on a broiler pan in a single layer.
- In blender put oil, vinegar and roasted garlic and puree until garlic is well blended into oil and vinegar.
- Brush top side of veggies with oil mixture.
- Broil veggies until they just start to blacken, about 5 minute.
- Take out veggies and turn them over and brush uncooked side with oil mixture.
- Return to broiler for another 5 min or until they start to blacken.
- Cook and peel shrimp if using. Add to tomato sauce just before serving.
- Place 1/2 noodles in pasta bowl/plate.
- Put 1/2 of sauce over pasta
- Put 1/2 of veggies on top of sauce.
- Garnish with parmesean and feta cheese if desired. (The feta adds a real nice flavor to your sauce).
- Repeat with second plate/bowl.