Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I wanted to have a "nice", romantic dinner with my DH and came up with this. It's handy because you can use your choice of veggies!
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or 8 fresh peeled and seeded)
- 6 slices bacon (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1⁄2 medium onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 -3 cups chunky vegetables (see below)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 roasted garlic cloves
- 10 whole shrimp (uncooked) (optional)
- 450 g spaghetti (or your favorite pasta)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- feta cheese (optional)
- In a deep dish fry pan sautee bacon, onion and garlic over med-high heat until onion is soft and bacon is cooked but not too crispy.
- Add can of tomatoes, oregano, parsley and basil.
- Bring mixture to light boil and turn down to simmer DO NOT COVER, let it render down to make a thick sauce (about 20 min). Cover and keep hot.
- Cook noodles so they are el dente. Rinse and drain.
- Place veggies ( I used purple onion cut into eighths(held together with toothpick), whole baby carrots, celery cut on the bias, red pepper 2x2" squares, rounds of zucchini and broccoli flowerets) on a broiler pan in a single layer.
- In blender put oil, vinegar and roasted garlic and puree until garlic is well blended into oil and vinegar.
- Brush top side of veggies with oil mixture.
- Broil veggies until they just start to blacken, about 5 minute.
- Take out veggies and turn them over and brush uncooked side with oil mixture.
- Return to broiler for another 5 min or until they start to blacken.
- Cook and peel shrimp if using. Add to tomato sauce just before serving.
- Place 1/2 noodles in pasta bowl/plate.
- Put 1/2 of sauce over pasta
- Put 1/2 of veggies on top of sauce.
- Garnish with parmesean and feta cheese if desired. (The feta adds a real nice flavor to your sauce).
- Repeat with second plate/bowl.
My husband and I both agree...5 Stars! This recipe is a 'keeper'...its delicious and easy to make. The bacon really makes this dish outstanding. One day I 'cheated' and added a small can of Rotel. :) Yummy! Thanks, LuckyMomof3 for sharing your recipe.
Delicious. The sauce is easy peasy to make and can be made in advance (if you reheat the sauce it is getting even better). You have "full control" of the veggies you will use and the shrimp and parmesan cheese complete this wonderful pasta recipe. And it is a wonderful sight on the plate too. The sauce with the bacon is a great basis for all the other different flavors. The roasted veggies developed a kind of delicate sweetness with a hint of garlic. and the parmesan and the shrimp are setting single highlights. I also like the different textures of the veggies, the pasta or shrimp. This one is best suited for a romantic dinner, you can't go wrong with pasta and veggies. And it is easy to make. Thank you for sharing