To press the pulp from your persimmons: store ripe persimmons in the refrigerator. Remove and let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour before trying to remove pulp. Peel persimmons or scrape pulp from peel with a spoon. Press persionnons through a fine mesh strainer until you have pulp. From Better Homes & Gardens October, 2002
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 fresh very ripe hachiya persimmons (~1 3/4 lbs) or 1 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2Grease and flour a 9" springform pan.
- 3Mix brown sugar and 1 Tbs flour in a small bowl.
- 4Press persimmons into a pulp into the bowl and mix.
- 5(see above comments.) In a medium bowl mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- 6In a large bowl beat butter with an electric beater in medium-high for 20 seconds.
- 7Mix in sugar and vanilla.
- 8Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each.
- 9Add flour mixture and sour cream to the butter mixture, alternately, beating until just combined after each addition.
- 10(Your batter will be stiff) Spread half of batter into pan, building up a 1" rim of batter around the edges.
- 11Pour persimmon mixture into this crust.
- 12Carefully spoon remaining batter in small mounds to cover persimmon mixture.
- 13For Walnut Streusel: In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar and cinnamon.
- 14Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- 15Stir in walnuts.
- 16Sprinkle this over your batter.
- 17Bake about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 18The filling will sink as the cake bakes.
- 19Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- 20Remove springform sides.
- 21Let cool completely on rack.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Persimmon-Walnut Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.3
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 74.1 mg
- Sodium 316.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 31.2 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: