1/3 Photos of Persimmon Steamed English Pudding
3 hrs 20 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This is an English pudding (or cake). A persimmon is a fruit with red-orange skin and flesh which comes in several varities and are in season from October to around Dec or Feb depending on your location. When selecting persimmons, look for plump, soft fruit but not mushy. Some helpful notes from our Zaar friend Maito, (who so kindly volunteered to be the test kitchen for this recipe that I found scratched down on paper from long ago and had not made personally) are as follows: Either of the two varieties of persimmons will work with this, as long as the fuyus are soft or hachiyas are super soft/almost mushy. Put greased parchment paper (greased side down) under the foil (so aluminum doesn’t drip into your cake). It is also helpful to have a string to make a handle to help you lift the cake out (we did a crisscross around the whole pan). Before step 3, you might measure the amount of water you want first (with the pans and pot in place), before putting the batter in.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup pureed persimmon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup golden raisin, plumped in warm water drained and chopped
- 1In a large bowl combine persimmon puree, sugar, egg and butter and beat until smooth (an electric mixer really helps!).
- 2Sift flour, cinnamon and baking soda together and stir into persimmon mixture along with the milk and raisins alternately.
- 3Turn batter into a well buttered 1 quart steamed pudding mold and cover tightly with a lid or heavy foil secured with kitchen string.
- 4Place mold on a rack in a kettle with a tight fitting lid.
- 5Pour boiling water into kettle to reach 2/3 of the way up the sides of the mold and steam pudding covered for 2 hours over medium heat.
- 6Remove pudding to a rack and cool uncovered for 15 minutes.
- 7Invert onto a serving plate and serve with vanilla sauce.
- 8VANILLA SAUCE:.
- 9In a small saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg and salt.
- 10Add water in a stream whisking constantly and then simmer sauce over low heat until thickened or just starts to come to a boil (about 3 minutes).
- 11Off heat, whisk in butter, vanilla and zest.
- 12Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with warm steamed pudding.
- 13Makes 2 cups.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Persimmon Steamed English Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.7
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 29.2 mg
- Sodium 271.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 26.9 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: