Recipe by Dib's
Serve with wedges of stilton, sharp cheddar or blue cheese. Not for the faint of heart or palate.
- 4 lbs crisp-ripe fuyu persimmons
- 3 medium onions
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 8 garlic cloves
- 12 small dried chilies
- 6 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups white wine vinegar (5 % acid)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut stems off persimmons and peel.
- Cut into 1 inch wedges, disarding seeds.
- Cut onions and peppers into 1/2 inch squares.
- Peel and mince garlic.
- Mash chilies.
- In a large pan bring garlic, chili, water, vinegar, salt and spice to a rolling boil on high.
- Add 1/4 of the fruit and cook for 30 seconds-start timing when"broth" returns to a boil.
- Remove fruit and repeat until all fruit is cooked.
- Prepare 8 pint jars.
- Place 0.125 of the onions into each hot jar.
- add 0.125 of the presimmons into each hot jar.
- and top with 0.125 of the peppers into each hot jar.
- Bring liquid to boiling and pour equally into each jar, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Wipe rims and seal.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.